Friday 31 January 2014

"La Real Cedula de Gracias de 1815 y sus efectos en PR & Emigrantes llegados a PR procedente de Venezuela 1810-1848" by Raquel Rosario Rivera



Ellen Fernandez Sacco (who is an awesome genealogist)  commented:

 I enjoy reading your blog. I also have Caban in my family, which I am currently researching. There are Caban in Puerto Rico before 1800 on the west coast. Unfortunately none are listed in Raquel Rosario Rivera's book on the Real Cedula de Gracias. There seem to be several lines, one indigenous another of European origin. Cabal, Caban, Caval are some of the variations i've seen for the records ca. 1780s-1790s. Raquel Rosario Rivera has two books, La Real Cedula de Gracias de 1815 y sus efectos en PR & Emigrantes llegados a PR procedente de Venezuela 1810-1848. You can probably get them from Libreria Tertulia.

Boabdil said...

Ellen Fernandez Sacco: Madam, I believe I have seen your writings somewhere else related to the genealogy of the Cabans. My name is Boabdil Perez Caban, I am from Moca and family of Lorenzo Caban Alonso. This is what I have found from my tree. Based on church records in Moca, the earliest caban I found so far (going back to Moca in 2 weeks) is Alejandro Caban, father of Jose Maria Caban, father of Lorenzo Fermin Caban lopez, father of Lorenzo Caban Alonso, wich was my grandfather. I just saw this series of posts and have to read them to see if it relates to my line and how to trace it out of PR. Good luck to all..


Anonymous wrote:

   The first Cabán to arrive in Puerto Rico came with the Sosa family, which founded Aguada, a town in the Western part of the Island, next to Aguadilla. I strongly sugest that you look up articles written by Dr. Adolfo Pérez Comas, a prestigious historian and descendant of Bernardo de Sosa, who has done a lot of research about the Cabán de Avilés branch of the family, who came to Puerto Rico in the XVIIIth century. Raquel Rosario Rivera does not include any Cabán in her book about the Cédula de Gracias.

Conclusion (for me) - Ok, the Cabans didn't come to Puerto Rico on the Decree of Graces, if  Raquel Rosario Rivera's books are correct. The Sosa lead is a good one, though I have also heard that Cabans come from Cavan county Ireland - v is pronounced as a soft b many times in Spanish. There are also DNA links that put us in the Balkans and  there are Cabans living for centuries now in Poland! So, still work to be done. 

Shar




5 comments:

Tommy said...

Hello Shar, I seen your post referencing Dr. Adolfo Pérez Comas though I am not able to find any of his articles or books can you please post links or where to get then from. I am descendant of the Caban’s from Cerro gorrodo in Moca.

Shar said...

Hi Tommy! I did a Google search too, taking the title Dr. from the name and found his work referred to in this book: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sabGAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA155&dq=%22adolfo+perez+comas%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=c-wdU4zsEe2p7Aa38YCQCA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22adolfo%20perez%20comas%22&f=false

I was quoting an "Anonymous" commenter when I posted that info and it seems to me that it is something that would have to be found in a local history center in Puerto Rico or something. What do you think?

Shar

Unknown said...

Thank you I looked at the link but didn’t find much information there. I have since done a DNA test and found that I am Italian , Greek ,Spaniard, African ( from various locations in Africa), Irish , Taino) the farthest I have gone back in my family tree is to Raimundo Caban who married severa antonia maria segui ( she was born in St Agustine florida, when it was a Spanish colony) and on another branch of the family Sinforian Caban who was married to Laureana Acevedo De Caban.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have been doing much more research and have found that the Cabans were involved with the Sosa’s who founded Aguadilla. But they are Irish in origin not Jewish. And they were In Puerto Rico many decades before the founding of Aguadilla. One account I found was in an article about Don Juan de la Rosa Velazco y Hernandez del Rio(?-1820, who was born in Santo Domingo and came to Puerto Rico. He was married to Dona Rosa Olavarria y Caban(1747-1843) in Aguada. Dona Rosa Olavarria y Caban was daughter of Don Juan Baustista Olavarria, who was a native of Bilbao Spain. Her mother was Dona maria Caban y de Aviles, who was born in Aguada.
“El apelllido Caban, no es de procedencia espanola. Es un apellodo solariego irlandes que en su origen se escribia “carvan” y que sufrio alteraciones en su escritura, segun el genealogista Rafael Reichard Sapia. Esta familia es muy Antigua y hoy se encuenta disminada por toda esta Zona oeste.”